Tuesday, October 6, 2015

God Is Still Great

Is God still great?  

A few months ago I left my job as a Pastor at my church. I had a great income, respect and honor as a shepherd.  Yet I was following the plain leading of the Spirit of God to leave that church.  

On the horizon I had two churches that were considering me for their part time Pastor.  I needed a part time job so that I could return to school in pursuit of a Ph.D., which God had given me the freedom to pursue.  I was bringing 15 years of experiences and solid growth to these two churches.  I felt that I would have no problem securing at least one of them.

A week ago I stood on the back porch of my house.  I had been turned down for both positions.  I am burning through my savings at blazing speed.  What I had originally planned as 9 months worth of savings now, at the current rate, likely will not last me through the year.  Is God still great?

If God is not in control, I face a mountain sized problem with no hope.  I have few skills that would enable me to make the kind of money, even full time, to be able to make what is necessary just to break even.  Only ministry, and a church with resources can provide me with that opportunity.  And there are no “irons in the fire.”  Not one local ministry and only a few in my state are even looking right now.

Is God still great?

While attending a large church in Lansing Michigan (Trinity), the Pastor, Marvin Williams taught the congregation about prayer. The first section of his prayer began with the acknowledgement: “God is Great.”


That’s where I began to pray on my back porch. And its begun an exploration for me that has been keeping me steady these last few days.  God is great.  No matter what.  For the next few posts, I will explore Psalm 139, and the fact that no matter what happens, God is still great.

No comments:

Post a Comment