Monday, January 13, 2014

How's that new habit coming along?

How are those New Year’s resolutions coming along?  Any Spiritual ones this year?  How about them?  They say it takes 21 days to make a habit, so you are almost 2/3 of the way there, if you have been keeping it!  What is yours?  Perhaps a scripture memory program?  Reading through the Bible in a year?  A new Devo time?

I must admit that being out of my routine has kind of unsettled my practice of my New Resolution.  But I am committed to it, and I fully intend to keep it.  Yesterday is gone, and today is passing.  Tomorrow is a new day, and its a fresh page to write upon.  What will you and I do with it?  Will we make time for the things that we know will make us better?  Or do we want to end the year wishing that we had found a way to make that new habit, that life building skill, or that fresh attitude we have always wanted to cultivate.  

I would make a poor farmer.  I always like ideas and results.  Its the work in between that always seems to trip me up.  I can put a name on it like “Visionary Leader,” but on the farm “Visionary Leaders” go hungry.   When you have lots of people around you to implement your plans “Visionary Leadership” is a great thing.  But me with my little garden...in a house full of “visionary leaders?”  Well, I produce almost as much weeds as I do tomatoes.

This last year I did note some progress I am building into my character on carrying through projects.  I made a notable effort on several long projects around the house to try to be as much a hard worker as a visionary.  

I am trying to strive for more of that in my personal Bible study.  I have long admired men who can pull out a passage of scripture and preach from the ancient languages without notes.  Time to stop admiring.  I have the vision.  Now its time to grow it.  I need less ivory tower and more of the shovel and the hoe.  I need less dreaming and more doing.  So I am going to attempt this year to be more proficient than ever in my studies of scripture, and in including more original language in my personal study.

I am striving to be a better disciplemaker.  I have been working on a vision for expanding discipleship in our church. I have also taken on two new disciples and am praying for more.  I also started this blog with a view toward builiding my ministry of discipleship into all who read it.  I hope to exemplify good bible study habits, and demonstrating how I go about applying truth to my own life.  I need to ever hone these skills, as disciplemaking is at the core of what God wants us to do.  If people come to me and tell me that they got something from what they read on the blog, or if they go out and train others in what I have trained them to do, I know I have achieved my goal.

I know that my first goal is more of a long term thing.  It takes years to master the Bible in your native language, much less in a dead language.  The second will have more immediate results.  But what about you?  Have you spelled out your goals?  Do you know what it will look like when you have realized them?  Have you already broken your new habit?  

No worries.  Start fresh tomorrow.  Keep at it, and your new resolution will be yours…either 7 days from now…or in 21!


No comments:

Post a Comment